Monday 6 August 2012

Upstairs Bathroom Make-Over December 2011



The kids' bathroom make-over!


There really wasn't anything wrong with the kids' bathroom upstairs, except that they would not use it after we remodelled the main bathroom!! It was driving me crazy, so I took my daughter shopping to pick out decor that was more kid friendly.  I did not want to sink much money into this, so it was to be done on a limited budget.  The tiles had to stay, but were a neutral beige kind of a colour that we were able to work with.  We started by picking out a new shower curtain and then built the palette from there.  I am quite pleased with the results and the best part is, the kids use it!!

Okay, I forgot to take BEFORE pictures, but in all honesty it didn't look much better than this.  There was a vent/fan in the middle of the wall, a towel bar below and a plain white waffle type fabric shower curtain.  The bathroom is very small and the vanity that was in there was poorly installed, so water ran down behind it and b/w the tub and sink all the time.  It was pretty yucky!!


BEFORE:
The bathroom was dark and certainly not very fun!





AFTER:
It truly is quite amazing to see what a coat of paint and little creativity can do!!  My daughter picked out this colourful curtain (that I loved as well) and this became the inspiration for the room.  My husband installed a pedestal sink which worked much better in the space.  The vent/fan is still there, but doesn't seem so bad against the blue walls.  I had the shelf above the toilet in the basement, so just had to give it some fresh paint.  I bought a cheap canvas at Jysk and made a simple piece of art for the room.



I got some great ideas from Pinterest for both the toothpaste holders and the backsplash.  I  used cheap pipe clamps to hold dollar store glasses that I had personalized with my kids' names.  The backsplash was done by taping off squares, adding a plaster layer, painting the "tiles", removing the tape and then urethaning.  They turned out great!

No comments:

Post a Comment