Monday 6 August 2012

My Daughter's Room

It is funny!  We designed this room when my daughter was only 4 and she still loves it!  It was lots of work, so hopefully we won't need to update it for a while yet.  Our daughter was lucky to end up with the largest bedroom in the house, complete with a walk-in closet!

Arts and Crafts Nook with bench storage
The antique vanity matches the dresser in the top picture.  I bought the set for very cheap and painted them both out white.  The blue walls are actually a translucent colour wash of blue over white walls.  You can see the walk-in closet in the back ground.
The inspiration for the hand painted mural on her wall was taken from the throw cushion on her bed.  The little cabinet on the right is a cheap Walmart cabinet that was painted to match her room.

Despite the fact that we live in a 1921 home, we knew that there was no hardwood flooring beneath the 70's carpet.  We  bought cheap oriented strand board (particle board) and laid the 4 X 8 sheets on the entire second floor.  My husband sanded them down to a beautiful blond colour and put on several coats of urethane.  I absolutely love the textured look and we are not concerned about the wear and tear of the kids on the floors.  My son even plays floor hockey in the oversized landing area!  The entire second story floor was done for under $700 including wood, machine rentals, urethane, etc.  Love the look!

As I said, there were no hardwood floors upstairs and the stairs themselves were made of nothing more than cheap plywood.  Although I would love to replace them someday, for now, they have been painted out and urethaned for durability.  I got the idea for the "Crap Baskets" from "Sew Many Ways" on pinterest.  Thanks!!  http://sewmanyways.blogspot.ca/2012/06/tool-time-tuesdaycrap-basket-update.html
The baskets were purchased at Dollarama for $2 each and then I added little tags for the kids.  I have to say I absolutely love these.  There were always little piles of things on the stairs waiting to be taken up, but now the kids are trained to empty their basket and return it to the stairs each day.  Love, love, love this idea!!

No comments:

Post a Comment